Monday 17 June 2013

Top Ten On My Book Wishlist

Sharing this because I thought someone would see it and buy me some :p

10. Garden Of Evening Mist by Tan Twang Eng













Now, I certainly want to read it because, 1) It's about mysteries, 2) I love stories involving history, 3) The title is appealing, and 4) The rating on goodreads is superb, 4.07/5 stars.


9. Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami

Paperback Edition













Murakami is one of the most mysterious writer, I think. And I want to read it because the book isn't a novella. It's Murakami's short-story collection. Plus, I love the cover.


8. The Spy Who Jumped Off The Screen by Thomas Caplan 













"A former soldier turned movie star turned spy must stop a catastrophic nuclear weapons deal. " 

Right. An action fiction. What's not to love? Plus from the reviews on Goodreads it's pretty funny (but slow paced, unfortunately). And former US president Bill Clinton got involved? Must be interesting.


7. Gangsta Granny by David Walliams













I've always loved children literature. Especially the funny one like this, with surprise. Here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

Ben is bored beyond belief after he is made to stay at his grandma's house. All she wants to do is to play Scrabble, and eat cabbage soup. But there are two things Ben doesn't know about his grandma: she was once an international jewel thief and she has been plotting to steal the crown jewels. Now she needs Ben's help.


6. The Buddha In The Attic by Julie Otsuka













A novel that tells the story of a group of young women brought from Japan to San Francisco as “picture brides” nearly a century ago. I'm captivated by the togetherness the synopsis offer. So girly but deep in meaning.


5. The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling













I have to admit I want to read it because J.K. Rowling wrote it (except the fact that the synopsis attracted me too). Nearly half of the reader is Potterhead, and most of the fans hoped that the book will have at least a little similarity. But no, not at all. If you hoped so, all you'll get is disappointment. It's nothing like Harry Potter. When Jo said it's not Harry Potter, then it's not. This is a book for adult. End of discussion.


4. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell













When you visited Kinokuniya and found a book called Cloud Atlas on best-seller list, what would you do? In my case, I'm checking the synopsis, then go straight to Wikipedia to read the plot, then I fell in love. Time-crossing, diaries, old letters, back-and-forth kinda story. A keeper.


3. Hector and The Search for Happiness by François Lelord













Enough with some formulated novels about searching life meanings. Here comes Hector and the Search for Happiness, a novel about a young psychiatrist who found most of his patients have no health problems, just simply unsatisfied with their lives. So he set a journey for himself around the world to find what makes people happy. 

The synopsis gave goosebumps the first time I read it. Philosophy-ish but light. And one of the plus sides is, it's about travelling, searching, which I love.


2. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn













Really, I want to hug Gillian Flynn and at the same time kill her (but she's too beautiful and genius to die). Just.. I truly want to read Gone Girl that it feels hurt. Amateur detective and whodunnit mystery. I can't resist. Now I'll leave you with the tagline:

Marriage can be a real killer.


1. The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson














Time for "The International Best-Selling Sensation", by my now-favorite author (and from one of my favorite countries also, Sweden), Jonas Jonasson. Fiuhh that's surely one long title to write. Like I said, I love love love mysteries. But nothing beats a hilarious, worldwide-affecting mystery-adventure like this one. I WANT IT PLEASE BUY ME ONE. 

All of the books above haven't translated to Indonesian, and they're very very expensive.

Now, byeee.

Images from: goodreads.com

No comments:

Post a Comment